This is just from the Love Lab: Surprisingly quick-and scientifically proven-ways to maintain a joy-filled relationship…
Along the 26-points sequence of the alphabet there are many, many sexual references, and not all of them are X-rated. In fact, once you’ve covered the ABC’s of sex-from the part of the brain that can interfere with orgasm to the essential mineral a man depletes with every climax-you may have a greater understanding of the human body, as well as the human mind. Try these tips, you’ll thank us for it.
Here are 10 Secrets of Super Happy Couples
- Pretend you just met : Spend some time each day acting as if you just started dating. Ask him what he thought pf that TV episode or share what you’d do if you won the lottery. “Over time, couples stop asking those exploratory, get-to-know-you question because they think they already understand each other”. But because we all continue to change and develop, little daily check-ins like this are what keep the connection growing; according to research of 373 pairs. Chat about something besides the daily grind-at least for a bit.
- Limit the chick flicks : If Jennifer Aniston and Ashton Kutcher regularly appear in the living room, your union could be in the danger zone. “Romantic comedies can set up unreasonable expectations, which may lead to unnecessary suffering”. “Comparing yourselves with idealized others is a recipe for misery.” Rom-comes may also promote magical thinking about relationships. For example, as the initial intensity tends to fade, many couples try to recapture the euphoria they had in the beginning. “And that sort of thinking is only reinforced by Hollywood endings”.
- Be the beauty to his beast : Coupling up with an average Joe (with a beer belly) may be the key to a long-term love. According to a study in the Journal of Family Psychology, when men were married to more attractive women, they seemed more likely to step up to the plate. “But when husband were better-looking, they didn’t seem as engaged in helping their wives achieve their goals, (Size matters too; when women had a lower BMI than their guy, both partners tended to be more satisfied, according to other research.) The real secret to success? Support. Whether you’re motivated by a gorgeous face or some other quality, couples are more likely to enjoy long-run happiness when they’re invested in each other’s welfare.”
- Control the boozing : Any relationship will be shaken and stirred by too much alcohol, but research suggests that young adults who drink heavily (meaning four or more drinks on one occasion for women; five or more for guys) are less likely to wed in the first place and may be at greater risk for early separation if they do. Partyers may be more likely to have commitment issues to begin with, and once they couple up their bonds may be unstable. “If you’re going to be in a solid intimate partnership, you’re going to need all the good judgment and compassion you can muster”. Which means keeping the drinking in check.
- Hold a grudge (as long as he doesn’t) : Provided that your partner is able to bounce back from spats, you’ll experience greater satisfaction, even if you tend to stay annoyed, according to recent research. The mark of a good recovery: You don’t allow conflicts about one issue-say, money-to spill over into other areas of your relationship, such as how you help each other after a tough day. A yang to your yin yields harmony.
- Tweet responsibility : According to a survey of 100,000 people, avid tweeters tend to have shorter relationships than those who don’t microblog. “Having your eyes glued to a smartphone screen isn’t exactly conductive to romance”. Be sure your tendency toward technology (tweets, texts, and otherwise) doesn’t take up time better spent engaging in heart-to-heart communication with your guy.
- Don’t win an Oscar : That is unless you’d like to thank the academy for ruining your relationship. A Best Actress Winner is 63 percent more likely to have her marriage end before her category mates do, says researchers. While the breakup rate might seem like celebrity hogwash, the findings may speak to an underlying social norm: rate of divorce may be due to husband’s discomfort with his wife’s success. “On the other hand, the wife may grow dissatisfied with her current marital arrangement because she now has the confidence and opportunity to move away from a bad relationship.” Try to remain a power couple: Encourage and celebrate each other’s successes, big and small.
- Burn Bras (Together) : Forget flowers – feminism is the new romance. Women whose male partner is a feminist report better relationship quality, while men with feminist partners experience more sexual satisfaction and relationship stability. “A male feminist partner may increase a woman’s ability to realize her own goals and career ambitions”. “And male feminists are probably not threatened by their partner’s strivings.” Plus, these women may be more likely to initiate sex, and no guy will complain about that.
- Nurture Your Friends’ Relationships : According to researchers, the breakup of a close pal’s marriage increase your odds of splitting by as much as 75 percent. “Some people may see another divorce as permission to change their own life”. But when you encourage friends to stay together (happily), you may generate reasons that also apply to your bond.
- Twist the sheets at least once a week : Increasing your romps to once a week generates a much bliss as scoring a promotion at work. It’s not so much the sex but the frequency that is a better marker for a successful relationship. “Couples who like each other end up in bed more often”. “And it’s the liking-each-other part that increases joy.” But seriously, who needs a reason? Bank on more booty.