Apr 16, 2013 No Comments
Trendy nutrition boosters are showing up in beauty products. Will they make your skin flawless? Two top derms dig in.
- Best for – Dullness, puffiness
- The buzz – They put this in energy drinks for a reason: It can perk you up. The extract can also stimulate tired-looking skin.
- The deal – “Ginseng is thought to increase activity in skin cells, making them stronger and reducing puffiness”. Apply in the A.M. to wake up skin and fight postsleep Doughboy face.
- Find it – in Origins GinZing Refreshing Eye Cream.
- Best for – Sensitivity, acne
- The buzz – The good bacteria found in yoghurt, which does wonders for digestion, can also prevent dimples and calm flare-ups.
- The deal – Probiotics help maintain a healthy balance of organisms in your gut. Potentially they can also neutralize harmful bacteria on your face, which could mean less irritation and fewer breakouts.
- Find it – in Burt’s Bees Intense Hydration Treatment Mask.
- Best for – Blotchiness, acne
- The buzz – Not just a tea! This funky – tasting fermented It drink may have the power to refine uneven skin tone and soothe irritation.
- The deal – Because kombucha is a mold, it may act in a manner similar to that of a probiotic, keeping bacteria and therefore inflammation, in check, adding the disclaimer, “Haven’t seen any concrete supporting data as of yet.”
- Find it – in EmerginC Scientific Organics Kombucha Cleanser.
Ingredient Vitamin D
- Best for – Inflammation, lines
- The buzz – Drink milk, pop a supplement, get a little sun-none of these things will get the red out or prevent wrinkles like a surface app of D.
- The deal – “Topical prescription vitamin D may be an effective antioxidant and redness reducer”. But it’s harder to find a stable version in OTC products, so those can be pricey.
- Find it – in Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Active Vitamin D Serum-Oil.
- Best for – Dryness, flakiness
- The buzz – Why eat your weight in salmon to look luminous? When applied topically, these essential fatty acids have the same effect.
- The deal – Your outer layer of skin is partly made up of lipids, which have gaps. “Omegas fill them in, preventing moisture from evaporating”. “Because skin will be more hydrated, you will likely see an immediate glow.”
- Find it – in Nude ProGenius Treatment Oil.