Get ready to laser :These tooth-boosting tips will wipe away the years and won’t cost a fortune
It’s not just your skin that shows the effects of time. Our teeth can make us look older than our years – and staining is the most common culprit. ‘Youth, vigour and vitality have long been associated with brighter, whiter teeth’. So if you want to look younger, get a white smile. Here’s how…
Stain-removing toothpastes can lighten your teeth with regular use, but it’s important to choose one that’s minimally abrasive to avoid damaging enamel. Celebrity dentist recommends.
- Oral-B 3D White, which promises a brighter smile in just two weeks. Or try
- Swissdent Extreme Whitening Toothpaste, which has baking soda plus pineapple and papaya enzymes to lift stubborn stains, from red wine to tea and coffee.
Did you know..?
6 in 10 women are concerned about stained and yellowing teeth.
Rinse and whiten : It’s not just toothpaste that can make teeth whiter. With zinc chloride to target tartar and fight stains,
- Listerine Stay White also kills germs left behind after brushing.
Get sparkling teeth for less : Many dentists now offer diamond polish treatments, which gently buff away stains with particles of the precious stone in a special paste
Replace your toothbrush with an electric brush as it’ll clean your teeth much better.
- Oral-B Vitality, so you don’t have to spend much to switch. Or try
- Oral-B Floss Action, which removes twice as much plaque as a normal manual toothbrush.
Did you know…?
Smoking encourages plaque to accumulate more quickly on the teeth. If you’re a puffer, you can help encounter the effects with
- White Glo Smokers Formula, which comes with a free anti-stain toothbrush.
A New Lippy Will Make A Difference
Your choice of lip colour has a direct effect on how white your teeth look. ‘Avoid over-Shimmery pastels that lack pink or peach tones, as teeth will appear grey, discoloured or yellow’. For a bolder look, recommends reds. ‘If you have fair skin, try a red stain instead of lipstick, and top with a sheer gloss. For darker skin, pick a deep burgundy. But ditch the orange-based reds. They’ll only make your smile look dingy.’
Tip: Use a stain-removing toothpaste regularly after any professional whitening treatment to help maintain the results.
Try a Kit
- Rapid white 1 Week Tooth Whitening System is a non-peroxide formula that’s gentle on teeth. It includes whitening gel and accelerator, and claims to lighten teeth by up top four shades in one week.
Tip: ‘Minimise discomfort caused by laser whitening by using a desensitising toothpaste for at least two weeks beforehand. Colgate Pro-relief is very effective.’
- Use a stick to whiten on the go : It looks like a lip gloss, but the hand-bag-sized * Yotuel Tooth Whitening Stick is a handy whitening stick, great for quick tooth-ups and removing stains while you’re out and about. As well as contain a form of peroxide, it also has fluoride to protect and strengthen tooth enamel over time. The minty formula helps freshen breath, too. Simply brush it on and leave it to work its magic….
5 Top whitening tips
- Visit the hygienist : A single session will lift stains, but regular trips will keep your teeth whiter and gum healthier.
- Watch what you eat : Coffee, red wine and tea are well-known strainers, bur curries, balsamic vinegar and other dark foods can also dull teeth.
- Eat a tan : Real or fake, a tan always makes your teeth look whiter.
- Eat more strawberries : ‘They contain a natural acid that whitens teeth’.
- Get ready to laser : If you’re thinking of laser whitening, be sure to get your teeth in tip-top condition first. Some dentist won’t do it otherwise.