Having a baby changes your life forever, but the rewards are unlike anything else…
Deciding to is start a family with your partner is something worth celebrating. If you’re trying to conceive, there’s lots you can do to boost your chances and give your baby the best possible start in life.
A well as being informative, Make A Baby Month! brings a bit of fun to what can sometimes be a stressful time for couples. And, while we don’t want to put you under any pressure (a real no-no when it comes to baby-making!)
HEALTH BOOSTS FOR BABY-MAKING
- Boost folic acid includes a few of the following: beans or pulses; beef or yeast extract, dark green leafy veg, oranges or orange juice, granny bread or fortified breakfast cereal.
- Cut back on booze Alcohol reduces fertility in men and women. Try to have no more than one or two small drinks in one day and make sure some days are alcohol free.
- Snack smart! Switch to healthier snacks such as fruit, dried fruit, nuts plain yogurt, rice or oatcakes, carrot sticks and hummus.
- Be caffeine aware If consumed in excess, caffeine can affect fertility and increase the risk of miscarriage, so cou back on these or switch to decaf alternatives.
- Quit smoking Ask your GP for advice on how to stop.
DON’T FORGET FOLIC ACID
Taking a 400mcg folic acid supplement daily, for 12 weeks prior to conception and the first three months of pregnancy, will help protect your baby against neural tube defects, such as spina bifida.